Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is a faced pace read, exciting to the end. I found it to be a nice break from The Poisonwood Bible’s interesting but uneventful plot. Collins does a wonderful job describing a perverse peek into a future version of North America called Panem. Each scene brought a vivid picture to my mind. Because I knew there were books following the first, I assumed Katniss would survive to the end. I figured this might make the book less interesting, but I was constantly asking how she was going to survive, rather than if. Katniss’s relationship with Peeta intrigued me in midst of a game of survival. It would have been very interesting to read the novel from Peeta’s perspective, since his thoughts are never fully divulged. I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I do wonder what it would be like from Peeta's perspective. He's not a great character--in fact, I don't think any of the characters are particularly well developed, but Collins is a master of plot and suspense. I was completely captivated by these books and I found them quite thought-provoking as well. I often think about the society set up in this world and in what ways our society is similar...disturbing.

    ReplyDelete