Sunday, March 13, 2011

Of Mice and Men

I was mildly disappointed by the classic novel, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, although I did enjoy many aspects of the book. I disliked the anticlimactic plot line, but the growth of the characters is what caused me to read to the end. Although the book had its minor conflicts and resolutions throughout the book, there was no overarching problem that had the reader on the edge of his or her seat. However, while the ending was certainly sad, I enjoyed what Steinbeck accomplished by it. I felt it to be a refreshing change from the typical happy ending books. I like the message that Steinbeck portrayed when George killed Lennie; by killing Lennie, George killed their joint hope of their dream life, throwing George into the group of men lacking any sort of aspiration. I also feel that Lennie’s death allowed him to accomplish his dreams better than anything he would have done in life. Because he died thinking about their farm, Lennie perpetually will be with it. Although the novel did not have me turning pages to discover what’s next, I respect the way Steinbeck developed his characters and chose the ending.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this is strongly a character driven book. There is a wonderful film version with Gary Sinese and John Malkovich--I highly recommend it. Sorry you didn't love it--poor Lennie! Poor Candy! Poor George! Candy always got me the most.

    ReplyDelete